The public school system in Greater Victoria contains 3 districts:
- School District 61 – The Greater Victoria School District provides quality education for approximately 20,000 students in 26 Elementary Schools, 10 Middle Schools, and 7 Secondary Schools. Over 1,200 adult learners register with the Continuing Education Program each year and District 61 also offers a variety of Programs of Choice and three Elementary Schools of Choice. The municipalities covered are:
- Oak Bay;
- View Royal, and
- Part of Saanich and Highlands
- School District 62 – The Sooke School District, serving approximately 8500 students, is located on Southern Vancouver Island adjacent to British Columbia’s Capital City of Victoria. Communities of the school district include Sooke, Port Renfrew, Metchosin, Colwood and Langford.
- School District 63 – The Saanich School District contains 8 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 3 secondary schools and is proudly represented by nearly 8,000 students. In addition, the District also maintains a children’s development centre, 2 individual learning centers and an international student program.
All three of these schoold districts offer programs for:
- Early and late French immersion;
- International students, and
- Strong Start early learning.
Other programs that are offered within Greater Victoria’s school districts include:
- Aboriginal education;
- Fine arts;
- Career education;
- Continuuing and distance education;
- Lower island athletic;
- Programs of choice, and
- Special Education.
This vast array of programs that is available through the public school system highlights yet another benefit of living in Victoria. People who are considering relocation to this beautiful city can rest assured that they and their children can access this comprehensive public school system to get a quality education.